Dr. Christoph Born
Attorney at law / Of Counsel, LL.M., University of Amsterdam
+ 41 44 225 15 25
download CV as PDF
Christoph Born advises and represents Swiss and international clients in the areas of business, corporate and contract law as well as copyright and trademark law. In particular, he advises small and medium-sized enterprises active in the industrial and services sectors on contract law issues (including the law governing mandates and employment contracts) and represents such clients in court proceedings. Christoph Born has many years' experience in the area of media law and advises both private individuals and companies on issues relating to the protection of personality rights and unfair competition. In these areas, he represents clients in civil and penal proceedings. Finally, Christoph Born also advises private individuals in the area of inheritance law.
Before working as an independent attorney-at-law in Zurich, Christoph Born gained valuable experience as an in-house counsel with a Swiss Bank and a media company. Apart from his work, Christoph Born is a lecturer with the MAZ Die Schweizer Journalistenschule (Swiss School of Journalism), Department of Communication, and president of the audit committee of the Swiss municipality of Zumikon.
Areas of practice
Contract law, in particular mandate and labor law, unfair competition, media law, copyright law and trademark law.
- Since 2018: Of Counsel with Wenner & Uhlmann Attorneys-at-law, Zurich
- 2003 - 2018: Partner with Wenner & Uhlmann (previously Wenner Stierli & Born), Zurich
- 1992 - 2003: Partner with Bratschi Emch & Partner, Zurich
- 1988 - 1992: In-house counsel with Jean Frey Ltd and Curti Medien Gruppe (Media Group)
- 1984 - 1988: In-house counsel with Schweizerische Volksbank, Zurich
- 1980 - 1984: Associate with Kopp & Vetsch Attorneys-at-law, Zurich
- 1979 - 1980: Clerk with a court of first instance, the Cantonal Supreme Court, the Department of Police and a notary public in the canton of Solothurn, Switzerland
- 2002: LL.M., University of Amsterdam Law School
- 1984: Dr. iur., University of Berne (PhD equivalent)
- 1980: Admission to the bar (all Swiss courts)
- 1978: lic. iur., University of Berne (Master equivalent)
Recent experience (selection)
- Advising and representing the Swiss subsidiary of an international manufacturer of chemical products in a conflict including labor law and unfair competition issues.
- Representing a foreign company in a state court litigation relating to the violation of copyrights
- Advising a company active in the communications industry on contract and labor law issues
- Advising and representing a creditor in insolvency proceedings
- Continuous advice for the editorial team of a weekly newspaper on media law issues
- Zurich (ZAV) and Swiss (SAV) Bar Association
- Member of the professional group "Media Law" of the Zurich Bar Association
- Member of the professional group "Media Law" of the Association of Swiss Media
- Member of the Association of Publishing House Counsels (Germany, Austria, Switzerland)
- Member of the Swiss Association for Communications Law
- Member of "INGRES Institut für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz" (Institute for industrial property rights)
- Member of „ks/cs“ Communication Switzerland